Who attends the workshop?
More than 350 beginning and professional writers attend the writers’ workshop, which has always sold out. Attendees came from across the United States and Canadian provinces. Many writers credit the Erma Bombeck Writers’ Workshop with providing the knowledge and connections that brought their writing and publishing success to the next level.
The workshop is sold out. Can I still come?
The 2016 workshop sold out in less than six hours after we opened registration. We have more than 150 writers on the wait list. Those at the top of the list will be offered slots if we have cancellations.
What do attendees think of the workshop?
We survey attendees after each workshop, and here are some of their recent comments:
• “I’ve been to many different conferences for many different subjects in many different places. This is by far my favorite. Granted, the topic is dear to my heart. But the feel of the EBWW conference is very much like going to visit family, even though it was my first time and I hadn’t met anyone attending before. I like that it’s relatively small. It feels like a warm hug.”
• “I was amazed at the high caliber of speakers. Keep that! I also liked the accessibility of writing rock stars. But also, the high level of competency — from organizing to emceeing — was wonderful. I felt welcomed, was inspired, laughed and cried, and learned.”
• “I will definitely keep coming back and will continue to be an Erma evangelist! I absolutely love how accessible all the speakers are and the myriad networking opportunities you provide. Thank you so much for all you do to put together such an incredible conference and make us all feel so welcomed and valued.”
• “The workshop is so energizing, so supportive, so accessible to authors and faculty, it is amazing.”
• It is always good to have a mix of marketing, craft, inspiration and connection. I believe you achieved this in spades.”
• “The Erma Bombeck Writers’ Workshop is truly a class act!”
• “By the time 2016 rolls around, writing will be my career — not just a dream for the future!”
• “The best thing about this conference is the lack of competitive spirit. Everyone wants everyone to succeed.”
• “World class.”
A record 66 percent of attendees completed an online survey that rated the 2014 workshop’s sessions. The overall workshop, its cost vs. value, and the networking opportunities all received scores of 9 (out of 10).
Why is the cost what it is?
The registration fee for the 2016 workshop is $425. Because of the generosity of workshop sponsors and speakers, we are thrilled that we are able to charge such a modest fee. If we had to charge all our expenses to workshop attendees, our registration fee would more than double. The workshop fee includes all workshop sessions as well as two continental breakfasts, two lunches and three dinners.
Who are the workshop faculty?
The writers’ workshop faculty for 2016 include more than 30 experienced writers and publishing professionals. They’re picked for their ability to entertain while they educate. Most have taught at other writers’ workshops. You won’t find this type of lineup at any other writers’ workshop.
What should I bring?
Your sense of humor, first of all. Business cards, if you have them, so you have a quick way of exchanging contact information with others at the workshop.
What should I wear?
Comfortable shoes, of course. The atmosphere of the workshop is very relaxed. Some attendees wear jeans, while others prefer a business casual look. It’s a whirlwind two-and-a-half days, so the key is being comfortable. The weather in Ohio can be unpredictable in the spring, so be sure to check the forecast in the days before you leave.
How do I get to Dayton?
Dayton International Airport has daily flights from around the country. For ground transportation to and from the airport, we arrange a shuttle service at a reasonable rate. More information will be available closer to the workshop.
Where do I stay?
We are proud that the Dayton Marriott is a sponsor of the workshop and its official hotel. The hotel blocks a limited number of rooms at a special rate for Bombeck Workshop attendees, and many of the workshop events take place in its ballroom. (Writers have also been known to gather in the hotel bar after the official program ends each evening.) Book early to ensure your reservation. Follow this link to make your reservation online at the special Bombeck Workshop rate of $139/night.
What will I eat?
The workshop registration includes dinner all three nights, plus continental breakfast and lunch on Friday and Saturday as well as snacks during breaks. You won’t go hungry. During the registration process, we’ll ask you about any special dietary considerations.
What if I need to cancel my registration?
If, for some reason, you need to cancel your workshop registration, our refund policy allows a 75 percent refund if you cancel before March 1, 2016. After March 1, the registration fee is not refundable. Please contact us at email@example.com for more information.