Who attends the workshop?
More than 350 beginning and professional writers attend the writers’ workshop, which has always sold out. Attendees came from across the United States and Canadian provinces. Many writers credit the Erma Bombeck Writers’ Workshop with providing the knowledge and connections that brought their writing and publishing success to the next level.
The workshop is sold out. Can I still come?
The 2018 workshop sold out in less than five hours after we opened registration. To register for the wait list, click here. Those at the top of the list will be offered slots if we have cancellations.
What do attendees think of the workshop?
We survey attendees after each workshop, and here are some of their recent comments:
• “I’m not sure how the staff can top #2016EBWW. It was stellar in every way. Workshops were on trend and helpful for all levels of creative people from novices to professionals. The faculty was incredible.”
• “I KNOW that Erma is so proud and so honored. This is the best gift that I have ever given myself, life changing!”
• “An unbelievable experience. The EBWW is unique among all conferences in its ability to foster a culture of support and collaboration, rather than competition, among the writers who attend it and become part of its community. …The EBWW feels less like attending a conference, and more like visiting family.”
• “Thanks for being the kindle for my spark. xoxoxo”
• “I love this workshop. Love, love, love.”
• “I’m so glad I came and will stand in line to be sure to get into the next one! The mixture of topics and approaches in the sessions offered seems just right. The spirit of Erma Bombeck is wonderful and the family atmosphere is charming.”
• “The truth is you can’t put a value on the conference — the cost is one thing, but the connections, information and education I received are invaluable.”
• “My favorite writers’ workshop, bar none.”
• “The welcoming warmth of this workshop far exceeds any I have ever attended.”
• “I thought this was a remarkably well-organized and content-packed conference. The depth of expertise in the workshops was outstanding; people you might expect to be keynoters were workshop presenters. That’s really unusual.”
• “The spirit of the workshop seems to really carry the spirit of Erma throughout. It’s genuine. It is not contrived.”
A record 66 percent of attendees completed an online survey that rated the 2016 workshop’s sessions. The overall workshop, its cost vs. value, and the networking opportunities all received scores of 9 (out of 10).
Why is the cost what it is?
The registration fee for the 2018 workshop is $450. Because of the generosity of workshop sponsors and speakers, we are thrilled that we are able to charge such a modest fee. If we had to charge all our expenses to workshop attendees, our registration fee would more than double. The workshop fee includes all workshop sessions as well as two continental breakfasts, two lunches and three dinners.
Who are the workshop faculty?
The writers’ workshop faculty for 2018 will include more than 30 experienced writers and publishing professionals. They’re picked for their ability to entertain while they educate. Most have taught at other writers’ workshops. You won’t find this type of lineup at any other writers’ workshop.
What should I bring?
Your sense of humor, first of all. Business cards, if you have them, so you have a quick way of exchanging contact information with others at the workshop.
What should I wear?
Comfortable shoes, of course. The atmosphere of the workshop is very relaxed. Some attendees wear jeans, while others prefer a business casual look. It’s a whirlwind two-and-a-half days, so the key is being comfortable. The weather in Ohio can be unpredictable in the spring, so be sure to check the forecast in the days before you leave.
How do I get to Dayton?
Dayton International Airport has daily flights from around the country. Ground transportation is available from Charter Vans, Clean Cab Ohio and Uber. Attendees will receive more information about estimated rates closer to the workshop.
Where do I stay?
We are proud that the newly renovated Marriott at the University of Dayton is a sponsor of the workshop and its official hotel. The hotel blocks a limited number of rooms at a special rate for Bombeck Workshop attendees, and many of the workshop events take place in its ballroom. (Writers have also been known to gather in the hotel bar after the official program ends each evening.) Book early to ensure your reservation. Follow this link to make your reservation online at the special Bombeck Workshop rate of $145/night.
What will I eat?
The workshop registration includes dinner all three nights, plus continental breakfast and lunch on Friday and Saturday as well as snacks during breaks. You won’t go hungry. During the registration process, we’ll ask you about any special dietary considerations.
What if I need to cancel my registration?
If, for some reason, you need to cancel your workshop registration, our refund policy allows a 75 percent refund if you cancel before March 1, 2018. After March 1, the registration fee is not refundable. Please contact us at email@example.com for more information.