We’re seeking top-notch faculty and session ideas for the 2020 Erma Bombeck Writers’ Workshop.
Deadline for proposals is April 5, 2019, with prospective faculty notified by June 17 if their sessions have been selected. To submit a proposal, click on Call for Faculty Proposals, fill out the form and email it to email@example.com.
The vast majority of writers surveyed after the 2018 Erma Bombeck Writers’ Workshop told us they loved it, but a number said they want a greater focus on the craft of writing and ways to use social media more effectively. Several suggested tracks for beginners and advanced writers. Others would like to see the workshop do a better job of “fostering a diversity of voices.” Many requested tips on how to navigate the myriad ways available to publish and market your writing today.
Among the hundreds of write-in survey comments from the 2018 workshop attendees:
• The access to industry professionals was mind blowing.
• I have never been to a conference in which nearly everyone was so open and welcoming.
• Thanks again for a wonderful, exhilarating, inspiring, friendly, engaging and FUNNY learning experience.
• It’s hard to combine fun and substance, but both were in high supply at this workshop.
• My first Erma experience was beyond words. My heart and soul were filled. Now onto writing!
• I was inspired every step of the way. I took away something important from every session.
If you’re an established writer and teacher with an enthusiasm for helping others become stronger writers, we’d love to hear from you. The next Erma Bombeck Writers’ Workshop will be held April 2-4, 2020, at the University of Dayton, Erma’s alma mater. It’s the only workshop in the country devoted to the craft of humor and human interest writing. Wildly popular, the 2018 workshop sold out in less than five hours and drew writers from 41 states, three provinces in Canada, and even Madrid, Spain.
— Teri Rizvi
Teri Rizvi is the director and founder of the Erma Bombeck Writers’ Workshop at the University of Dayton, where she serves as executive director of strategic communications.