Who attends the workshop?
More than 350 beginning and professional writers attend the biennial writers’ workshop, which has always sold out. Attendees came from across the United States, Canada and other countries. Many writers credit the Erma Bombeck Writers’ Workshop with providing the knowledge and connections that brought their writing and publishing success to the next level.
If the workshop sells out, can I still come?
The 2020 workshop sold out within hours, but we encourage writers to register for our wait list. Those at the top of the list will be offered slots if we have cancellations.
What do attendees think of the workshop?
We survey attendees after each workshop, and here are some of their recent comments:
• It’s hard to combine fun and substance, but both were in high supply at this workshop. Thank you for a great experience!
• My first Erma experience was beyond words. My heart and soul were filled. Now onto writing!
• My funny bone got tickled so much I will have to have elbow surgery.
• I was inspired every step of the way. I took away something important from every session. The event was incredibly well organized and all volunteers were kind and helpful. Thank you for allowing me this opportunity to meet and laugh with such talented people.
• Of the four workshops I’ve attended, I laughed at this one the hardest and longest.
• The access to industry professionals was mind blowing.
• I have never been to a conference in which nearly everyone was so open and welcoming. For someone who struggles a bit with networking, I was amazed how knots of people just opened up to let me in. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that anywhere else. I shared a taxi back to the airport with a woman who told me she was a professional conference planner and she told me it was the best organized conference she has ever attended.
• Thanks again for a wonderful, exhilarating, inspiring, friendly, engaging and FUNNY learning experience.
• The dessert, as always, was delicious. The sessions were delectable. The keynotes were delightful. The people who attend EBWW, whether simple attendee or speaker, are among some of the most supportive, kindest encouragers I have ever encountered.
• I love the culture and character of this entire workshop. It was friendly and supportive and fun and inspiring. It’s really something special.
• We attendees were treated like royalty and the knowledge and connections I gleaned will last for years. …Thanks to all who made this possible at an affordable price.
• “The spirit of the workshop seems to really carry the spirit of Erma throughout. It’s genuine. It is not contrived.”
A record 72 percent of attendees completed an online survey that rated the 2018 workshop’s sessions. The overall workshop, its cost vs. value, and the networking opportunities all received scores of 9 or more (out of 10), the best marks in the workshop’s history.
Why is the cost what it is?
The registration fee for the 2020 workshop is $485. Because of the generosity of workshop sponsors and speakers, we are thrilled that we are able to charge such a modest fee. If we had to charge all our expenses to workshop attendees, our registration fee would more than double. The workshop fee includes all workshop sessions as well as two continental breakfasts, two lunches and three dinners.
Who are the workshop faculty?
The writers’ workshop faculty for 2020 will include 30 experienced writers and publishing professionals. They’re chosen for their ability to entertain while they educate. Most have taught at other writers’ workshops. You won’t find this type of lineup at any other writers’ workshop.
What should I bring?
Your sense of humor, first of all. Business cards, if you have them, so you have a quick way of exchanging contact information with others at the workshop. If you’ve published a book, we encourage you to bring promotional flyers for the information table.
What should I wear?
Comfortable shoes, of course. The atmosphere of the workshop is very relaxed. Some attendees wear jeans, while others prefer a business casual look. It’s a whirlwind two-and-a-half days, so the key is being comfortable. The weather in Ohio can be unpredictable in the spring, so be sure to check the forecast in the days before you leave.
How do I get to Dayton?
Dayton International Airport has daily flights from around the country. Ground transportation is available from Charter Vans, Clean Cab Ohio and Uber.
Where do I stay?
What will I eat?
The workshop registration includes dinner all three nights, plus continental breakfast and lunch on Friday and Saturday as well as snacks during breaks. You won’t go hungry. During the registration process, we’ll ask you about any special dietary considerations.
A few of the sessions require advance registration. How do I do that?
Attendees will receive periodic emailed updates with instructions for registering for these special add-on sessions, including Speed Dating for Writers, One-on-One Publishing Consultations, Pitchapalooza and Stand-Up Comedy Night.
For the Stand-Up Comedy Night, which closes the workshop, a dozen stand-up comedians will be chosen randomly in advance, with the opportunity for three more attendees to be selected during the “Erma’s Got Talent” workshop, which is open to all aspiring comedians.
What if I need to cancel my registration?
If, for some reason, you need to cancel your workshop registration, our refund policy allows a 75 percent refund if you cancel before March 1, 2020. After March 1, the registration fee is not refundable. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a cancellation or for more information.